Westminster Presbyterian Church – Waterloo, IA
Contact Pastor Dan Voigt at 319-234-5501 or email
Title: Pastor of Care and Visitation
Reports To: Senior Pastor/Head of Staff
Status: 25% Time (on average 10 hrs/week annually)
Purpose: Provide pastoral care to church members and leadership in congregational care to the members of Westminster Presbyterian Church.
- Possesses a strong commitment to God through Jesus Christ
- Three references and background checks
- Ordination would enhance the performance of this position
- Able to move freely in and out of different care settings (homes, churches, nursing homes, and hospitals)
- Able to speak in a public forum
Preferred Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Spiritual Maturity: Shows strong personal depth and spiritual grounding; demonstrates integrity by walking the talk, and by responding with constancy of purpose; is seen by others as trustworthy and authentic; nurtures a rich spiritual life; seeks wisdom and guidance of appropriate mentors; and ability to articulate a clear and consistent theology.
- Pastoral Care: Demonstrates the ministry of presence; creates a spirit of openness that invites those who are spiritually or emotionally troubled to confide in her/him; demonstrates appropriate pastoral care boundaries; recognizing his or her on limitations as a care provider; respects confidences; and appropriately refers congregants to other professional care providers as warranted.
- Visitation: Moves comfortably and easily around those who are ill or suffering; generates a sense of calm, hopeful presence; offers appropriate prayers and facilitates rituals that invite healing; demonstrates appropriate personal boundaries when caring for the ill and dying; and stands as a calm, sure presence in the face of death.
- Developing Others: Provides others with information and tasks that develop skills for congregational care; sets clear objectives and measures, monitors process, progress, and results; able to motivate volunteers and members; empowers others; invites shared input and decision making.
- Preaching/Worship Leadership: Is a consistently effective preacher; able to inspire from the pulpit; communicates a clear, consistent, and relevant message; crafts worship flow that reinforces a theme or purpose; fosters worship moments that invite participants into an encounter with the divine; creates liturgical moments that embrace the world of the people in worship.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visit members who need care (i.e., hospital visits, nursing home visits, home visits, home communion). Visits will be coordinated with Senior Pastor/Head of Staff.
- Act as staff liaison to the Deacons.
- Attends meeting of the Deacons.
- Develops a board of Deacons who can offer helpful care to church members in times of need.
- Informs staff and church leadership of ministry programs of the Deacons.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Occasionally preach and lead in worship services; particularly when the Senior Pastor is away.
Director for Lakeshore Center
Lakeshore (Camp and Retreat) Center on Lake Okoboji, Iowa is looking for a talented leader to create a welcoming space for spiritual formation and rental groups. Hospitality, building and grounds management, staff and volunteer oversight, program development, communication (written and verbal), financial administration, and building donor relationships are all required skills.
Compensation starts at $55,000, plus housing and benefits.
Job description: LCO Director