Your Help is Needed at Feeding Haiti’s Kids
SAVE THE DATE—JUNE 10, 2023
Matthew 25:37- “—Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you—“
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Northminster Presbyterian Church is inviting you to participate in a bold and challenging opportunity to serve the people of Haiti on June 10 at our church in Ames, Iowa.
Haiti has always been one of the world’s poorest nations. The challenge to feed their people is causing widespread hunger. Some of the factors contributing to the current crisis are:
- The assassination of Haiti’s President
- Rampant corruption
- Increased gang activity
- The de-valuation of the Haitian currency and high inflation
- World-wide food shortages
- Poor agricultural practices
- Prominence of Voodoo as an accepted religion
- Recent earthquakes and hurricanes
Last year the World Food Program (WFP) of the United Nations reported “… between March and June 2022, 4.5 million Haitians (45% of the population) would be suffering from severe hunger.”
The situation has not improved since then.
Northminster’s relationship with United Christians International (UCI) for the past 10 years has included sending Christmas gifts for their Primary school children. Now Kristie and Jean Jean Mompremier, the founders of UCI, are concerned that the students in their schools are not having their nutritional needs met.
Because of this, Northminster has taken on a project to purchase, pack, and ship 100,000 individual meals to UCI to be distributed to the primary and secondary students at the school.
We will be working with Then Feed Just One, a non-profit from Le Mars, Iowa, who will supply the ingredients of the meals and with UCI who will distribute them.
The entire cost of the program will be $25,000.00; $18,500 for the food and $6,500 for shipping. This translates to 25¢ per meal.
We can’t do this alone. We need the help of the churches of the NCIP. There are many ways you can help.
- First, PRAY. Pray that our goal of 100,000 meals packed and sent to Haiti will be reached. Also pray that the conditions in Haiti will improve over the next few years.
- Second, HELP SPREAD THE WORD. We need a lot of people to accomplish our goal- about 400 volunteers. Tell friends, relatives, neighbors, enemies, and co-workers about this opportunity to serve.
- Third, HELP PACKAGE. Bring a team, your family, a friend, or come by yourself. Donate 2 hours of time. See how many meals you can package with your teammates in that length of time.
- Fourth, HELP FINANCIALLY. If you are unable to help package, can you help us with the cost of the food and shipping?
- DO ALL FOUR. If really motivated, perhaps you could do all four things!
To volunteer or donate, go to Northminster’s website and click on “Feeding Haiti’s Kids.”
Please contact us to visit with your session or your congregation about this program. If you have any questions, please contact Charlie Flick, 319-290-0346 (talk or text) or e-mail.
“God’s best gifts are not things, but opportunities.” (Anon)